Monday, June 17, 2013

W Hala La Wein?

Last night everyone in the Arabic school gathered in the Music hall to watch a film. It was a Lebanese film called W Hala La Wein? "Where do we go now?" 

When the director started it, there were only Arabic subtitles. Everyone immediately burst out laughing....like...seriously? We're going to watch this whole movie without subtitles? I wasn't faring much better than the Level 1 students, the colloquial Lebanese made almost no sense to me. Somehow it was funny and sad, that we all (ok, almost all) of us needed subtitles. The director promptly switched it to English and everyone chuckled and then, applauded wildly. 

I'm looking forward to the day when I can watch it again without, but I'm glad for the translation. It was beautiful, and hilarious, and I might have cried.