Sunday, February 6, 2011

He wants to blowdry Palestine....

Someone found this video and posted it on Mondoweiss last week. It's a parody of Justin Bieber's "Baby," asking Justin to cancel his Tel Aviv concert as part of the cultural boycott against Israel. It's hilarious! Unfortunately, the video was censored by YouTube for copyright infringement. But you can still YouTube other Bieber parodies for some less controversial alternatives.

Justin Bieber BDS

.....

This is an Israeli parody of Macy Gray's "I Try," thanking her for deciding not to cancel her Tel Aviv show. She put up a Facebook status saying, "I think what Israel is doing to Palestinians is disgusting, but I wanna go..and I don't know how my NOT going changes anything. What do you think? Stay or go?" Her facebook page was inundated with comments, most of which equated being pro-boycott with being pro-terrorist. I wanted to say something like "don't go. you can't be more entertaining than this tantrum" but instead I said something like, "if you go, speak your mind." I think that's her plan.

It's a good debate, whether cultural boycotts are moral, even effective. All I know is, it's easy to be in denial when you're hanging out on the promenade in Tel Aviv...