Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Wank

"Early morning westbank bound"

Haha, my friend from New Orleans posted this on Facebook and I was confused...what was he doing in Palestine? But no, this is the bridge from New Orleans to the West Bank of the Mississippi River. We used to call it the Wank.

Most memorable Wank experiences:
-Seeing Chicago live at GretnaFest for 10 bucks. Highlight of my life.
-Cleaning out Hope Haven, our short-term volunteer housing for Catholic Charities. It's an old, Spanish mansion, and doors kept mysteriously locking behind me. eeeee.
-Going to a slip-n-slide party and discovering my fire-ant allergy. First trip to the ER!
-Chaperoning a seventh grade trip to Barataria Wildlife preserve with Ranger Stephanie, who gave us a lecture about how terrorists want to harm our national symbols because they hate our freedom. Oh Ranger Stephanie!

At a 4th of July party I saw a guy wearing a t-shirt with this:

I was tempted to go buy one, but I don't think I'd get much wear out of it over here. The West Bank means the west bank of the Jordan River, so it's just a leftover name from the Jordanian occupation. People don't use it much, except while they're explaining the "situation" in Palestine, separate from Gaza. So maybe the idea isn't so cute.