Saturday, May 12, 2012

Alright, it's 2 in the morning. Probably my last night in Al Aqaba. I just packed up a duffel bag and my guitar and everything else is staying here (ok, I have a big suitcase waiting in Ramallah). The night is so quiet, just the sound of the clock ticking and goats milling around.

Janice and I ate dinner at Haj Sami's sister's house. She made diwali (stuffed grape leaves) and kusa (stuffed...zuccinni thing), which is one of my favorites, and I could barely walk after eating a whole platter. Jamila kept serving me up more and more, and I kept eating more and more, and Janice was holding her plate close to her face so they wouldn't get any ideas. Really, I was taking one for the team.

 Haj Sami says he wishes he could come with me. And I have to talk about Al Aqaba in America. So many people have come and gone from here, but it's hard to think of myself as someone that will just leave....and forget about Haj Sami and the kids and the building....this house just feels like my house.

 Trying not to get too sappy here.

 Anyways, I'll be needing to tie up a lot of things tomorrow before I head out with my bags and guitar like a real vagabond. Tomorrow I'm couch-surfing in Ariel settlement, something that's been on my bucket list for a while.....