Thursday, September 20, 2012

Quarterly Review

Yesterday was a pretty chill birthday. Donna and I dropped by a Japanese grocery store, because she knew I loved that stuff, and we picked up sembei and juice and pound cake and something that really made my day, a Crunky bar. I hadn't even seen a Crunky bar at Uwajimaya in Seattle, which is the king of all Japanese markets. Needless to say, I wolfed that thing down and I have half a mind to stock up tomorrow...

I stopped swimming already. Night late computer time has made me prioritize sleep over exercise.

It's really strange going to work and doing the same things at work that I normally do in my free time. A little more focused, but still. Trying to sum up my last year in Palestine is something I've been struggling at all summer, and now there's this real sense of urgency to it, if we're going to launch the fundraiser and plan the speaking tour. This can only be a good thing. I know there's an end in sight, that if I get my stories and photos and videos organized I will have set myself up to do something really effective. I've been saying this for the last four months go, and it's finally go time.

That's why I published the menu on this blog. I'm not even finished with the bio yet, but I have to start throwing things out there. Like Ze Frank would do...



Anyways, so birthday. I had this moment while I was writing the intro to this fundraising pitch, and checking Facebook simultaneously to see people writing on my wall, and it made me feel really isolated. Also very grateful for the amazing people I've known, but I have this notion in my head that after this work is done I'm going to re-emerge. My friend Christie actually showed me a Birthday Book while we were eating pizza the other night and she made me read my birthday page aloud, and it talked about my tendency to isolate myself in long-term projects and well...that was a little strange, the day before my birthday....

Long story short, I need to explore this city. My friend from New Orleans is in town for the week, and he mentioned a Roller Derby on Friday...
Oh, Quarterly Review suggests that I'm going to review my life. I think I've done pretty well so far.