Monday, November 28, 2011

Me oh my oh

A few nights ago, I was sitting in my friend's car in Ramallah, waiting for him to buy a bag of oranges so we could make a vat of orange juice for the impending winter snifflies, and the oldies station that was on started playing "Jambalaya (on the Bayou)..."

Goodbye Joe, me gotta go, me oh my oh
Me gotta go pull the pirogue down the bayou
My Yvonne, the sweetest one, me oh my oh
Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou

Jambalaya and a crawfish pie and a fillet gumbo
Cause tonight I'm gonna see my cher amio
Pick guitar, fill fruit jar, and be gay-o,
Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou


There I was, in a car by a fruit shop in Ramallah, having my own private Zydeco dance party. I never paid much attention to the song in New Orleans, but it really brought me back.


When I got back to Al Aqaba, I looked for the song and found a video of a 4-year-old singing it and playing the accordian to a crowd of thousands. So cute! So...Amurrican. I tailgated Country Music Fest in Baton Rouge once. We drank beer and played Cornhole and saw a few Confederate tattoos. It was a cultural experience. At one point I felt compelled to run around the campground and take a poll on everyone's opinion on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Just for kicks. I guess I lost my nerve, or the Flip Cup tournament started...

Anyways...the jeish came today. I need to do a post about that.