Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I can't get no satisfaction

The best part of today was watching the last practice for Team Palestine before the All Nations tournament on Friday. It was a beautiful evening in Shoreline, and there was a good turn-out. I did an interview with Hanna the coach, shot some footage of the drills, and met Ramzi.

 He asked me if I'd spent much time in Ramallah. I took a deep breath and said "yeahhhh." He asked me if I'd met any of the Houranis. That's a bit of a stretch, what are the chances I'd know...Hourani?

"Jehad?"
"You know Jehad?"
"And Khalid?"
"And Khalid!"

Ramzi and Jehad were in prison together during the first intifada. And there we were, on a sunny field in Shoreline, listening to the ball being kicked and the teammates yelling and the sound of I-5 across the street. It's amazing how normal this will always and never be.

This song was playing in the car on the way home, and I think it was the first time I really enjoyed
it...



When I'm watchin' my TV
and a man comes on to tell me
how white my shirts can be
Well he can't be a man 'cause he
doesn't smoke the same cigarrettes as me.
I can't get no, oh no no no... ..