Sunday, July 1, 2012

You're the Inspiration

My brother and I ate a classic little drive-in (mostly) restaurant in Bothell today, the same one my swim team friend and I used to go to and pig out before swim practice. It's hard to make good choices in that place.

But they played this song. Or rather played the radio station that played this song. That was a good choice.

 

Today I went to Nathan Hale High School to film a practice for the Palestinian soccer team. Made up of men ages 18-50 something from around Seattle and even some from Tacoma and Puyallup. They just pulled together and now have two weeks to train for the All Nations Cup.

They are all wonderful gentlemen. I interviewed about 8 players, and they came from Bethlehem, a village near Bethlehem, Nazareth, a village between Tulkaram and Jenin, Acre, and that's all I remember right now. I'm going back on Tuesday to film more. I'm not sure what kind of shape this story will take, but I'll collect as much footage as I can and see what comes of it. It was cool hearing some of the guys meeting each other for the first time, and understanding the Arabic! It kinda felt like home.


On the way home I drove by the Lake Forest Park Anti-War demonstration, which I've seen several times before and maybe honked at a few times. This time I pulled a U-ey (how do you spell that?) and parked by them so I could ask the demonstrators some questions. I don't think I got a lot of useful footage for the I/P solidarity film, unless I talk about Seattle activism in general and use some pan shots. Anyways, it was cool to hang out with those folks for a while. There was a peace pole that read "May Peace Remain on Earth" in four languages including Arabic.