Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Lights



The other day I was driving home from babysitting and this song came on. It's really big on the radio right now, but I don't like it that much, so I usually change the channel. This time the song was almost over so I heard the 98.9 lady naming it- "Ellie Goulding-Lights."

My first thought was, "that is a Jewish name."

My second thought was a flashback. I was sitting in a bus in Tel Aviv the day after Purim, next to a young man dressed as Mario. I'd woken up at my friend's place in Jaffa, and my friends hadn't even come home, so I ate a shakshooka breakfast with Mario, a fairy, and a really hungover flatmate.

While Mario and I rode the bus to the Tel Aviv Central Station, I told him about Al Aqaba and he told me about his army duty in Hebron, and we swapped numbers (though I never made it up to the Galilee where he lived...) and he told me his cousin was in the States now, she's a singer...she's actually doing pretty well, her name's Ellie Goulding....

I slapped the steering wheel and laughed real hard.

Just another thought from "over there..."